Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Amy's Predictions.

Ok, so here I am at page 225, about 5/8ths through the book i'de say, and I have to admit I'm really starting to love this book. It's exactly the type of scandal and provacity that I so crudely joke about. A book right up my alley (promsicuity, adultery, suicide, gossip). I'm kind of kidding, but I'm not..
Right now, I'm at the point where Ariah is currently living with her handsome husband, Dirk Burnaby. in their lavish suburban townhouse near Niagara Falls. The emotional fragile houswife has just been informed by her less than trust worthy sister-in-law that Dirk is having an affair with his attractive client, Nina Olshaker.
I will be honest, this book is really keeping my toes. I have not been able to assume the direction the plot is going really at all. I did not see the romance with Dirk and Ariah happening, and I also did not expect Dirk to ever become involved with another woman. I think the unepectedness of the events that occur is due largely to the compleity of the character and the seemingly uncharacteristic actions they make.
My assumption at this point in the book is that Dirk Burnaby will stay with Ariah. I think her and the sister-in-law are jumping to conclusions that Dirk may be cheating. The sister-in-law could have ulterior motives, and Ariah is insecure and emotionally unstable to start with and always tends to jump to morbid thoughts. I believe this is more a business adventure for Dirk. Taking on Nina's seemingly impossible case is a challenge to him, and he gets a thrill from defying the odds. Him supporting Nina financially could just be guilt or a moral motivation. Although Dirk may not be partaking in adultery, I feel like this first conflict between the Burnaby's could put immense strain on their relationship. I don't see the Burnaby's staying together much longer. Ariah's insecurities and fears that she doesn't deserve all of the good that is happening to her will eventually drive Dirk away. He will take away his 'true' children, Bridget and Royall, and Ariah will be left with Chandler. This representing a piece of her late husband Gilbert Erskine, and that the past is still haunting her. I believe this story will ultimately end a tragedy. Ariah ending up with misfortune as well as many of the characters.



No comments:

Post a Comment